Sunday, July 30, 2000

One small note it turns out that spyderco has a web site. I've updated previous post(s) to reflect this. The hitch to the deal? I can't find the left handed mariner available on the site. damn. I carried one of those for a long time. There was hardly a day it didn't get used. Now there is hardly a day that it isn't sorely missed.

If you have never owned a spyderco it can be hard to describe just how much you notice the absence of one. They sit comfortably in your pocket, clipped in place so your hand always knows exactly where to find it. no thought necessary. It is just there. My mariner had the clip mounted in a manner so as to make sit in my port stern (left rear) pocket just perfectly. It could be out in fractions of a second ready to slice anything that was refusing to cooperate (fedex paks, parachute cord, fishing line, even those annoying but necessary pieces of plastic around the top of a snapple Iced Tea). The mariner has a sensible sheepsfoot shaped blade so it was hard for me to accidentally harm myself or others around me. The blade is, however, around four inches long and serrated the entire length with the patented SpyderEdge.

Because of my comfort and the relative safety of the knife in my hands I often forgot how disturbing the sight of such a thing could be to those unfamiliar with them. Tom has an interesting story to tell about me me doing this very thing in a place that turned out to be a very inappropriate place for a knife of any sort let alone one like that. I don't have much call for a knife while I am here working in the veal fattening pens( I think the term that use here is cubicle), but I still miss it every time I get the mail.