Wednesday, July 12, 2000

I haven't posted in awhile. The mental writing muscles have begun to atrophy. So I realize that I need to get back to it. There is much going on in my life now, but I won't talk about it. In fact I'll subject you to a series of small observations based on the crappy newsfeed on my pager.


K-tel records fired 123 employees on Friday to stop "growing losses". This may be the first time I have sympathy for anyone in the record industry. Who is gonna pay 13.99 for a mix CD that virtually anyone can burn for themselves. Screw Mettalica, K-tel should sue Napster. Or just cave and accept that their cool little scam/market niche is obsolete.

On Sunday in Montana a moose nailed a cop car chasing a speeder at about 85 mph. The speeder escaped, the officer was relatively unharmed. The patrol car nearly vaporized. No word on the moose, sausage I suspect.

note to dumbass cops who don't wear your seatbelt just because the law specifically exempts you. This officer had his belt on. He's alive and kicking today. Would you be?

Only six people were injured in the running of the bulls in Pamplona this year. Is it just me or are the Spaniards turning into wussies?

Yesterday was the anniversary of the re-establishment of the USMC in 1798. Who the hell de-established it? What were they thinking? "Well, we've just finished a revolution against the reigning world super power. I don't think there will be any hard feelings, let's disband our elite group of soldiers who a trained to go places quickly by ship to kill people and break stuff". Which segues nicely into:

Today is the anniversary of the US sending troops to Ft. York (Toronto) and reducing it to a pile of ashes. This provoked the Brits to attempt the same thing in DC. Oops minor tactical error. It's built on a swamp and doesn't burn well. Lots of smoke damage, though. It caused us to paint a certain yellowish house White.
The canucks have rebuilt a portion of Ft. York and wedged it between the QEW and Lakeshore. It's cute.