What they did is write a set of python classes for garmin GPS units. Wooo Hooo. They did it to be able to upload and download their waypoints to their linux computer. What they haven't done is get NMEA working but that is going to be a lot easier now.
Here is my vision of the thing I want to build:
in a mini AT case(or something even smaller) A big harddrive that is easily removable with an ok processor, a killer sound card, a video card with ntsc output for this screen.
power it all with a nice inverter
run a stripped linux on it. no unnecessary drivers or daemons just a kernel and some libraries. Maybe an x-server. mount the hd as read only. use a version of mp3 player like his. pack the hard drive with mp3's ( 20 gigs is a lott of music. nearly every cd I own.)
And this is the cool part. get some good cartography software and use it with the Garmin TracPak screwed right to the trunk lid of my car. I'd never have to be pissed about forgetting the CD I wanted to hear right now and I'd never have to get lost in some sorry industrial wasteland like cleveland again.
Am I the only one who think this might be cool?
hope not