Saturday, June 17, 2000

"I'm okay, Mom. And Heidi and Kim are okay, too. We're pretty freaked out. The truck is toast. But no one was hurt."

Elise, I am glad everyone is alright.

I have three boys, aged five, two and a half, and not quite six months. I tell myself that it is good to have all boys because that way I will never have a fifteen year old daughter. I fear the things a father of a fifteen year girl has to worry about. She reminds me that boys won't be much easier.

I think about the cars I wrecked when I was young. I totalled three between sixteen and eighteen. Not counting the Demolition Derby every other week all summer long. Unlike many of the other kids my age wrecking cars I wasn't drinking then. Didn't start that until I was much older, and even then I didn't mix it with driving. I wrecked them doing normal stupid testosterone laced stuff. Pushing the envelope till it broke. How far can you keep pushing the curve after the tires squeal. Can I get through this curve on the gravel road sideways. Stuff like that. I survived. I learned a great deal about taking marginal machinery to it's limits. I have never met anyone who is better at it than I am.

I do, however remember having to make that call on the phone.

"Hi Mom, I love you. First things first. Nobody was injured. I rolled the Corolla...... Yes Mom we're all OK. No I'm still at Mike's cabin. We rolled it back up, coasted it down the mountain. Mike's dad is going to run us into town to buy oil to fill the engine back up. It all drained out while we were upside down...... Yes, I have enough money. The roof is a mess, and we windshield has a nasty crack in it, but we think we'll drive it back tomorrow.... yes Mom, I love you too, I just think it might be a good Idea to get some sleep before we drive the three hours home."

My goodness three boys what was I thinking.