Friday, June 16, 2000

The future king of England turned 18 today. In another century that might have meant something but it just doesn't seem to now. In many ways that is disappointing to me.

I despised his mother. at least after the split. There are certain things that royalty should just understand.

You married the prince of wales. Should somebody really have to tell you that you job is to keep your mouth shut and squeeze out heirs. Is there no historical basis on which you might have already figured this out? Some kings would have you beheaded. I'm sure the queen mum thought about it.

His dad, Oh my goodness, what a spineless woussy. That would be just plain sad for him to be king. Just sad.

I should mention at this point that I am descended from the worst rulers England ever had. They were so bad that the people thought Oliver Cromwell could do a better job. I have no great love for England. When my part of the family Emigrated we were given a choice, Australia, or a homestead in the FAR FAR FAR north of Canada. But still, wouldn't it be good to have a king on the throne of england with some Class and Dignity. Maybe even Some Balls.

This Boy who will be King has a chance of that. I hope the general Screwedupness of his parents can be overcome. I wish him well. I have spent more that a few nights sleeping on crown land looking up at the northern lights and I have this little fantasy that someday that crown might mean something again.