Sunday, June 04, 2000

I was driving the FCS rental and listening to NPR when I heard the fingernails scrape across the black board.
Most of the folks who listen to NPR have heard Joki Jehu speak about thirld world debt relief. I hear her at least once per month. She drives me nuts. I couldn't figure out why. It is not her cause bothers me. I virtually never side with the robber baron's. It is not her voice either. I love listening to the tone that comes from having a bantu language as your primary language.
It finally came to me today. It's the metaphors. She uses metaphors that she doesn't have the cultural context for. The two that killed me in this speech were. "the master's tools will never destroy the master's house" and "we've put the fox in charge of the henhouse".

These are powerful images. Appropiate images. Not accurate Images. Indeed, the master's tools are the only things that can destroy the master's house, and what she is asking for is for the fox voluntarily give up stealing chickens.

Any one with any experience in this kind of thing knows that it's the master's oil and the master's lantern that sets the fire in the master's house. That's because the slaves aren't allowed to own a lantern. There are no slave's tools.

Anyone who has had the trouble of the fox stealing their chickens knows that there only two solutions. One is to make the henhouse impervious to the ministrations of the fox. This is so impossible as to make it futile. The other is to kill the friggin fox. It is not necessary to spread the fox's entrails around the borders of your farm as a message to other foxes, though there are those who advocate this. Word gets around in fox circles pretty quick and on the whole they are cowards.

There is another possibility, however. She could have the cultural context. This would mean instead of using facts to bolster her argument (which are indeed persuasive) she is trying to invoke deep set emotions like hatred and fear. This crosses the line to demogoguery. Demagoguery leads to despots. I don't like despots.