Saturday, August 12, 2000

In keeping with Keith's theme. I have a grumble about the folks at my health care provider(which is unfortunately blue cross of california). They are denying coverage to my infant son. They have done it to each of the older boys in a more or less similar fashion. On one of the older ones( i can't remember which) they covered my wife's hospital stay and denied the child's costs. They sent us a letter stating that we had not proprely informed them that we were going to have a baby. Eight pluss month's of prenatal care they covered and they need a friggin registered lett stating that we expect a baby? I swear they must make up crap like that as they go along and hope we buy into it so they don't have to pay.

This time I did send them the letter. So they covered the hospital costs and none of the doctor visit's, shots, and care since. Evil bastards. If I am going to get fucked with every time I'd almost rather just budget the money and pay it myself. except there is always the risk of something really bad happening. My wife doesn't get sick very often, but when she does it's usually at least 80K to get her back from the hospital and then the evil bastards know they have me.

For all the lies, exaggerations and propaganda about the canadian healthcare system, I can say this:

My uncle wrecked a Honda Goldwing just north of Barrie, Ontario on our way north for a camping/canoe trip. He is a Canadian citizen, and an Ontario resident. After leaving the hospital with a spiffy new titanium and teflon hip and quite a bit of other minor work and several weeks stay in the hospital he was presented with a bill.....

for his long distance phone calls.

I am not saying we have to model theirs exactly but I am quite positive our system isn't working.

My doctor has more people working for him trying to get paid for his services that he does providing services. That's just wrong.

My Insurance company spends much of it's time trying to trick me out of coverage that I have paid for. That's just wrong.

Keith's Insurance company has a person making decision's about Fiona's health that doesn't know the meaning of congenital. That's wrong and DANGEROUS.

What would it take to overpower the lobbying might of the insanely profitable insurance industry and get something that works. something short of armed resistance I am sure. I am thinking more along the lines of a hundred or so decent scrupulous honest congresspeople.