Tuesday, August 01, 2000

About two weeks ago I came to the conclusion that I wasn't brought out here to actually fix this project. I was brought out to scapegoat. A worthy and venerable position, scapegoat. However not one suited to my job skills and temperament.

So! You say, what exactly are your job skills? Slacker, you obviously have enough time on your hands to do this.

This I do in the spare time I would be sitting in the hotel by myself wishing I was home.

Back to the skills. What can I do that is really special.

I trouble shoot human systems. Nearly every system has weak points. I work on human ones. Your retail store/warehouse/ department/etc. not profitable? It is probably a human based problem. I'll tell you what it is and how to fix it. Give me the freedom and authority, I'll even fix it for you. The problem probably isn't what you think and I'll bet the solution isn't either. I've got a remarkable record and if you trust me you'll have happier, more productive employees, lower training costs(and more training), less turnover, and most importantly, a fatter bottomline.

Now how do you put all that on a resumé when the the stockholders cannot be allowed to know projects you work on are even necessary let alone successful. I think this is why spooks so seldom retire from the CIA or NSA.

All that aside, I have other skills that may prove to be marketable, but they are also difficult to put on a resumé or they are things I would be morally incapable of. For instance I have the skill set to be a world class contract killer, but I lack the emotional and moral makeup requisite for the job. And just how do you put on your resumé that you can nurse about any kind of sorry, neglected heap of machinery far past its intrinsic limits in really poor conditions. If your life depended on driving a '71 monte carlo, firing on five cylinders, and riding on bald tires through a snowy mountain pass while people took potshots at you with large caliber rifles, I'd be the guy you'd want at the wheel. But how would you know? And would I want to? How do you put on a resumé that when in possession of a clear and barely attainable goal I can get other bright people on the bus with me and ask them to follow the path with cult-like fervor. Where's the checkbox box for that on the application?

Instead I have:


Special Projects Manager
present to two years ago

Regional Inventory Manager two to three years ago

Manager/Store Liaison three to four years ago

Store Manager four to six years ago.



"Ya load fifteen tons and whadda ya get?
Another day older and deeper in debt.
St. Peter don'tcha call me cuz I can't go.
I owe my soul to the company store!"
I can't remember the songwriter. I learned the song many moons ago when my father got us a scholarship to the UAW's Walter and May Reuther Family Education Center. Great People there, even better library. Histories of unions and guilds. And the collection of folk music. Oh the collection! Makes you wonder how they got so corrupt and irrelevant.