Monday, September 11, 2000

When I was younger and unmarried camping for me meant taking a CN train into the bush, stopping at a bridge over a river, unloading three canoes, and gear for six guys for nine days in the two minutes thirty seven seconds that is allotted by the engineer, the last guy jumping off a moving train, and then taking eight or nine days travelling down to where we left the trucks. It is not as macho as it sounds, but it is,,, well,,, spartan. You don't bring anything you don't want to hump on a 500 meter portage with a 100 meter rise in the middle of it. For most of us that meant food, shelter, and a bottle of 98% N,N,diethyl meta toluamide bug repellent. I have also been known bring along headnets and duct tape my pantlegs to my boots. The blackflies can be brutal in May.

Last week I went camping with my wife and kids. We actually went to a provincial park. Long Point to be exact. Excellent place, nice beach, the best tent sites are 452,453, 454. There are sites closer to and even on the beach but I am averse to actually pitching a tent on sand.
Some things are different about camping this way. Air mattresses, for instance, make a big difference. Having a wife along to snuggle and ,um, do stuff with is nice. The ability to run into town when you run out of bug spray or for ice cream is also nice.
In short it was a wonderful week, except for a few moments when it was awful.
Next time I'll bring a screen tent, spare tent pegs, more parachute cord, bigger tarps, and actually remember a knife.
In all I highly recommend the experience and the place.