Then I spent a solid week confirming estimates, and putting a solid budget together that would get it built, correctly, and on-time.
Then tuesday morn, in a meeting paralyzed by consensus and populated with people afraid to commit themselves to a goal with any risk, I was magically transported to a cubicle right between Dilbert and Wally.
Suddenly that comic strip isn't as funny for me as it used to be. See, I believe that a good company can trip on its ... um shoelaces and get back up and go on. But to go back to being a together company you have to have a real huge, successful project to get your confidence back.
You can make all kinds of excuses not to get back on the horse, but most of the time you are just kidding yourself. You aren't doing it because you've let your self-image become a victim, and you just can't see yourself winning.
CLUE
You don't get back on the horse to teach the horse a lesson. You do it to keep yourself from learning the wrong one.
5/31/00 17:20 from the palm